Sunday, June 8, 2008

Personal Note: Check out these blog sites ...

Okay, I just couldn't pass up the cartoon. I hope I didn't offend anyone. But if I did, please, instead of getting mad, find out for yourself why the skeptic who drew this is so right on the money! 
(Did I just make matters worse?)

I want to draw your attention to some interesting post series on the sites of a couple of my friends. If you believe, as I do, that good science is vital for the health and witness of the church, then you will want to check out these two sites. If you do not believe that good science matters much, then you especially need to check out these sites!
___________________________________
Over at Beyond the Firmament, Gordon Glover has been posting a series targeting the teaching of good science in Christian schools. Anyone who has surveyed the textbooks used in Christian schools will know that students are, for the most part, simply not learning good science. But Gordon’s essays are of general interest, and I recommend them to all my readers. Among the posts in this series:
  • (#1) The unfortunate and unnecessary conflict between conservative theology and current science;
  • (#4) The definition of “folk science”;
  • (#6) The “Antipodes”, the what?? ... if you ever thought that incorrect thinking in the realm of science has limited consequences for the church and its mission, you must read this one;
  • (#7)“Aristotle’s Cosmos”, the 16th Century brouhaha over geocentrism (#8 is a follow-up);
  • (#9) Modern day Geocentrism, ... you mean people still actually believe that??
  • (#10) Young Earth Astronomy, is that an oxymoron?; and
  • (#11) Flood Geology, an excellent overview demonstrating that Flood Geology was untenable 200 years ago, and it still is today.
_________________________________

Steve Martin, at An Evangelical Dialogue on Evolution, has for the last few weeks been hosting an interesting series entitled, “Evangelicals, Evolution, and Academics”. The essays are written by a number of evangelical Christian scientists who teach at the university level. These professors share insights, as well as some of the personal struggles, that arise out of their experiences in the academic world as evangelicals who teach evolution.
_________________________________
As for me, the pace of my postings has slowed, of late. Keeping up the pace, on top of family life and operating a business, is difficult. But please stay with me! I will very soon post a review of The Dawkins Delusion? the McGraths' answer to The God Delusion. And I do intend to return to my main post series. I wish to offer some concepts of how the big bang, entropy, evolution, and randomness are not only adaptable to Biblical Christianity, but serve to inform our faith, adding new dimensions to our understandings of theology, as well as renewed impetus to "be about the Father's business." Stay tuned!

No comments: